Welcome to Fall! 5 Tips on how to prepare for your fall portraits.
It is officially fall, even if we're still hitting 80 - 90-degree weather here, the cool weather in the mornings have me craving comfy sweaters, fall colors, and hot tea in the evenings with my husband and hot cocoa for the kids.
This also means that fall sessions are now in full booking mode.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your fall family portraits:
Decide how you want to see your family portraits.
- Are you only doing portraits for Holiday cards, or do you want an updated portrait to display in your home? If the later, I'm your photographer! Creating beautiful artwork that you will enjoy every day you walk past it is my specialty.
- Who would your family portraits make a great gift for this Holiday season? Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, or even Godparents would love to have a beautiful portrait of your family and/or children. Ask your photographer about gift options.
Choose your clothing well ahead of time.
- What color palette do you love?
- Choose colors that work well in your home or with your style.
- Avoid clashing colors
- This year I have implemented something new & fun - Style & Select. This new app for my clients allows you to create a beautiful, cohesive look for your family to either use as inspiration when shopping locally or going through your wardrobe, or to shop directly on the website that the clothing is pulled from. I absolutely love it! This app would make it easy for even ME, a Mama of 5 kiddos to create a beautiful family portrait. Shopping for a family of 7 can be tough, but this makes it so easy!
Location, Location, Location.
- This time of year, outdoor sessions are classic, but you could also create beautiful, classic, fine art portraits in studio. Why not stand out this year with a formal portrait? When choosing an outdoor location, consider a place that has open shade and/or a variety of settings to choose from.
Fresh haircuts & trims are important.
- You want to look & feel your best the day of your session, so be sure boys & men have fresh haircuts the week of your session. If you color your hair - do not try something new! Be sure you are comfortable with your hair color & style. If you need help, reach out for suggestions on a professional hair stylist or makeup artist for day-of assistance. Fresh manicures & pedicures are great too!
Relax & let your photographer guide you.
- You should discuss what your desired outcome from your session with your portrait photographer - which family groupings you want; whether you want posed or more spontaneous looking images. If you have discussed this with your photographer, they should be able to provide a wide variety of images. Don't try to control your children and yell at them to "smile!" or "Say Cheese!" The less pressure you put on your children, the better their images will turn out. Trust the process.